Welcome to day #6 of my daily learning goal. I’m committed to watching one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery video each day. In addition, I plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or other piece of significant work.
So each day — in between podcasts, Google News, YouTube, and countless other distractions — I will share 4 items of learning that I’ve viewed or read the same day. This page will be posted after I’ve completed the tasks.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – The human insights missing from big data – Tricia Wang. “Why do so many companies make bad decisions, even with access to unprecedented amounts of data? With stories from Nokia to Netflix to the oracles of ancient Greece, Tricia Wang demystifies big data and identifies its pitfalls, suggesting that we focus instead on “thick data” — precious, unquantifiable insights from actual people — to make the right business decisions and thrive in the unknown.”
I have listened to this Ted Talk numerous times, and infact include Wang’s extraordinary pearls in recent presentations on Big Data & AI in ophthalmology.
2. Cataract Surgery – Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgery. Dr Cathleen McCabe MD – Enjoyed watching Dr. McCabe’s excellent surgical technique.
3. Journal articles – Articles on health policy and the future of telemedicine. Post-COVID offers numerous challenges for all practices.
- Berwick DM. Choices for the “New Normal”. JAMA. 2020;323(21): 2125–2126. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.6949
- Cutler DM, Nikpay S, Huckman RS. The Business of Medicine in the Era of COVID-19. JAMA. 2020;323(20):2003–2004. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.7242
- Shachar C, Engel J, Elwyn G. Implications for Telehealth in a Postpandemic Future: Regulatory and Privacy Issues. JAMA. 2020;323(23):2375–2376. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.7943
4. Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (28 minutes). After I listen to the complete Meditations series, I plan to listen to podcast analysis. Richard Ellison, MD, an AMA leader & fellow ophthalmologist, recommends the Partially Examined Life podcast episodes here. Meditations includes free translations online:
5. (BONUS) Podcast – Preston and Stig continue to host an amazing podcast. This 2019 episode of the The Investors Podcast is on gold and offers numerous pearls for value investors. Interesting to see the gold price mentioned in the podcast vs. the $1700+ gold per ounce price today.
TIP235: Gold Miners and Other Commodity Companies w/ Marin Katusa (The Investors Podcast: We Study Billionaires)
6. (BONUS) Leadership Pearl – The Rule of Awkward Silence
Intelligent minds like Elon Musk and Steve Jobs embrace the rule of awkward silence. You should, too (Inc.com) – Justin Bariso. Very good and quick read! Includes emotional intelligence pearls.
Sunday June 21, 2020 at 7 pm IST
Sunday June 21, 2020 at 9:30 am EST (New York)
I hope you enjoy these selections.
Please post a comment & subscribe/follow my blog www.ProtectingSight.com!
(Addendum: I have created a page with all Protecting Sight Daily Learning posts here).