Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Tara Houska: The Standing Rock resistance and our fight for indigenous rights. “Still invisible and often an afterthought, indigenous peoples are uniting to protect the world’s water, lands and history — while trying to heal from genocide and ongoing inequality. Tribal attorney and Couchiching First Nation citizen Tara Houska chronicles the history of attempts by government and industry to eradicate the legitimacy of indigenous peoples’ land and culture, including the months-long standoff at Standing Rock which rallied thousands around the world. ‘It’s incredible what you can do when you stand together,’ Houska says. ‘Stand with us — empathize, learn, grow, change the conversation.'” (ted.com)
Excellent Ted Talk. Struck by her comment, “When you aren’t viewed as real people, it’s a lot easier to run over your rights.”
We’re all out there standing together, because we are resilient, we are fierce, and we are teaching people how to reconnect to the earth, remembering where we come from. So much of society has forgotten this.Tara Houska (Ted Talk)
2. Uday Devgan – Cataract Surgery with prior Amblyopia. Dr. Devgan presents a case of amblyopia and asks critical questions to address before challenging cases.
3. Journal – Williams AM, Waxman EL, Shazly TA. A Woman With Bilateral Visual Field Defects. JAMA Ophthalmol. Published online October 08, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2020.2056
4. Book Chapter – The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss – Chapter 20-21. (Gutenberg | enotes)
5. Malik Y. Kahook, MD – Glaucoma Associated with Intraocular Tumors (YouTube) – Dr. Kahook presents 1 slide in 5 minutes. Excellent review of co-existing glaucoma and intraocular tumors.