Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Rachel Botsman: The currency of the new economy is trust. “There’s been an explosion of collaborative consumption — web-powered sharing of cars, apartments, skills. Rachel Botsman explores the currency that makes systems like Airbnb and Taskrabbit work: trust, influence, and what she calls ‘reputation capital.'” (ted.com)
This 2012 Ted Talk is prescient. I realized the increasing importance of online reputation for physicians and professionals. Many patients spend considerable time research a doctor’s online reputation before making an appointment. Reputation capital is real! (My free talk on protecting online reputation is here).
You know, there are only a few windows in history where the opportunity exists to reinvent part of how our socioeconomic system works. We’re living through one of those moments. I believe that we are at the start of a collaborative revolution that will be as significant as the Industrial Revolution.Rachel Botsman (Ted Talk)
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – posterior chamber deepens with capsule break. Well managed case.
3. Journal – Chinskey ND, Blinder KJ. Rapid Loss of Vision With the Onset of a White Ring Surrounding the Optic Nerve. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135(5):493–494. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2016.4476
4. Book Chapter – Why Moats Matter: The Morningstar Approach to Stock Investing. Chapter 2. With thanks to author and value investor Guy Spier for sending this amazing book.
5. Brandon Ayres – Iris Repairs and Sutured IOLs – 2 hour webinar. With thanks to Wills Eye colleague Brandon Ayres for presenting two hours of phenomenal and complex anterior segment cases. Dr. Ayres is a cutting edge surgeon and sought after speaker worldwide.