Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Peter Norvig: The 100,000-student classroom. “In the fall of 2011 Peter Norvig taught a class with Sebastian Thrun on artificial intelligence at Stanford attended by 175 students in situ — and over 100,000 via an interactive webcast. He shares what he learned about teaching to a global classroom.” (ted.com)
Excellent 6 minute Ted Talk. The internet is a global classroom and perfect for those who share a love of learning. With thanks to Professor Norvig and others for scaling online education. One student at a time.
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – Review: Career Paths for Surgical Learning. Dr. Devgan writes in part, “The path to learning surgery is a long and challenging one. True success requires years of dedication and the passion to consistently learn from every case and evolve your technique every year. We have previously discussed the learning curve and even given a sample learning grid of cataract surgery steps during residency.”
Dr. Devgan’s talk perfectly complements today’s Ted Talk. Both highlight the love of learning and, for me, the journey to become a better clinician and surgeon.
3. Journal – Starr MR, Louwagie CR, Salomao DR. Bulbar Conjunctival Nodule in a Patient With Rheumatoid Arthritis. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018;136(4):438–439. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.4271
4. Book Chapter – The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss – Chapter 32. (Gutenberg | enotes).
5. TIP318: The Passive Investing Impact with Mike Green.. “On today’s show we have financial expert, Mike Green, to talk about the impact that passive investing strategies are having on the systematic risks in the market.” Superb episode. I will seek out the books and other resources mentioned.