Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, podcast, or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Shimpei Takahashi: Play this word game to come up with original ideas. “Shimpei Takahashi always dreamed of designing toys. But when he started work as a toy developer, he found that the pressure to produce squashed his creativity. In this short, funny talk, Takahashi describes how he got his ideas flowing again, and shares a simple word game anyone can play to generate new ideas. (In Japanese with English subtitles.)” (ted.com)
The first Ted Talk I’ve viewed in a foreign language with subtitles. Excellent pearls to spark creativity.
2. Cataract Surgery – Shannon Wong MD – How do we fix a decentered and tilted IOL after intra-scleral haptic fixation (ISHF)? Dr. Wong writes, “If a patient has a decentered lens implant after intra-scleral haptic fixation, we can either perform an intraocular lens exchange (IOLX) or reposition the lens. We present a patient who required surgical correction to recenter his decentered LI61AO lens after ISHF.” Great case and excellent result.
3. “Facing Covid-19 in Italy — Ethics, Logistics, and Therapeutics on the Epidemic’s Front Line.” Lisa Rosenbaum, M.D. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1873-1875. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp2005492
The timing of this article — March 18, 2020 — is most prescient with current challenges. This is also one of the articles for the American Board of Ophthalmology quarterly questions program.
4. Chris Voss and Tahl Raz, Never Split the Difference. Chapter 5, “Trigger the Two Words that Immediately Transform any Negotiation.”
Voss and Raz are great storytellers. The skills presented can be applied in everyday negotiations.
5. The Investor’s Podcast – TIP326: INTRINSIC VALUE OF LUMEN WITH BEN CLAREMON AND EUGENE ROBIN. “On today’s show we speak to Ben Claremon and Eugene Robin from Cove Street Capital about the intrinsic value of Lumen. Lumen Technology is a new name for a merged entity between Level 3 and CenturyLink.”
I enjoy the deep-dive, single company stock analysis. The pearls shared are most helpful in stock investing.
And welcome to the newest co-host, Trey! Stig and Trey shared the story of how they met at the Berkshire Hathaway meeting back in the early days of the TIP podcast. The Investors Podcast & Guy Spier’s book also led me to attend the Berkshire meeting in 2018 and 2019 (where I met Stig, Preston, and future host Sean Murray!). Hotel and flights cancelled in 2020 due to COVID, and I hope to return to Omaha for a BRK meeting in the years ahead.