Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, podcast, or significant work.
Here is today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Jennifer Zhu Scott: Why you should get paid for your data. “The world’s most valuable tech companies profit from the personal data you generate. So why aren’t you getting paid for it? In this eye-opening talk, entrepreneur and technologist Jennifer Zhu Scott makes the case for private data ownership — which would empower you to donate, destroy or sell your data as you see fit — and shows how this growing movement could put power (and cash) back into the hands of people.” (ted.com)
Seven out of the top 10 most valuable companies in the world are tech companies that either directly generate profit from data or are empowered by data from the core. Multiple surveys show that the vast majority of business decision makers regard data as an essential asset for success. We have all experienced how data is shifting this major paradigm shift for our personal, economic and political lives. Whoever owns the data owns the future.Jennifer Zhu Scott
This is an excellent Ted Talk. I jumped back with her comment, “Whoever owns the data owns the future.” Wow.
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – chandelier lighting for cataract surgery. Dr. Devgan writes, “This patient has a non-clearing vitreous hemorrhage from proliferative diabetic retinopathy in addition to a cortical cataract. Our guest surgeon Aureliano Moreno MD from Tijuana, Mexico is performing a combined cataract surgery and pars plana vitrectomy with endo-laser for pan-retinal photocoagulation. The challenge is that the vitreous hemorrhage is blocking the red reflex and even with trypan blue dye, the anterior capsule is difficult to see with the microscope lighting.”
Great case and technique.
3. LeAnne Young, Mehmet Yakin, H. Nida Sen. Choroidal granuloma resolution with tuberculosis treatment. American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports, Volume 20, 2020, 100969, ISSN 2451-9936,
4. Diana Scarisbrick and Benjamin Zucker. Elihu Yale: Merchant, Collector & Patron. Part II, Chapter 2, “The New Western Taste for the East.” Another fascinating chapter on the influence of the India-UK trade.
5. Iliad by Homer – Book 1. Listening to the LoyalBooks free podcast version. (Wikipedia | Spark Notes)