Dr. Goel is a comprehensive ophthalmologist, cataract & refractive surgeon. He performs advanced cataract surgery using the latest technologies, including advanced technology intraocular lenses (multifocal, extended depth of focus, and toric / astigmatism correction).
In November 2019, Dr. Goel was the first cataract surgeon to implant the FDA-approved Alcon Panoptix Trifocal intraocular lens at the Wills Eye Surgery Center in Cherry Hill, NJ. PanOptix® is an intraocular lens for cataract surgery that is also correcting presbyopia, reducing glasses or contact lenses dependence after the treatment.
Colleagues & ophthalmic device companies continue to inspire with new technologies. Dr. Goel continues to monitor and optimize lens selection for each patient.
Here are Dr. Goel’s recommended videos to learn more about cataract surgery:
Intraocular Lens Overview, Options & Informed Consent
- Cataract Surgery IOL Options – An overview of cataract surgery. All cataract surgery patients are asked to review this patient-friendly video.
- Cataract Surgery – Understanding IOLs & Informed Consent – Informed consent information. All cataract surgery patients are asked to review this patient-friendly video.
Advanced Technology Intraocular Lens
- Alcon PanOptix® (Trifocal IOL) – An Alcon video which compares monofocal and advanced lens technologies in a patient-friendly manner. Multifocal lenses help to treat presbyopia, thus reducing glasses or contact lenses dependence after cataract surgery. This video also introduces one of the newest multifocal (trifocal) lens technology called PanOptix®.
- Alcon Vivity (Extended Depth of Focus, EDOF) IOL – This Alcon video explains the mechanism of action of the Alcon Vivity IOL. Extended depth of focus (EDOF) IOLs help to treat presbyopia, thus reducing glasses or contact lenses dependence after cataract surgery.
- Toric IOL (Astigmatism) overview and informed consent – A 4 minute video, produced by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, with an overview of astigmatism and toric intraocular lenses. Toric IOLs reduce astigmatism and allow the eyes to process images more efficiently and with greater clarity.
Live Surgery (Optional)
- Dr Goel performs cataract surgery on a routine case – This is a narrated video in which Dr. Goel describes each step of cataract surgery in patient friendly terms.
- Dr. Goel performs surgery on a mature white cataract with Vision Blue – This is a narrated video in which Dr. Goel describes techniques to approach a mature white cataract using the Vision Blue staining technique.
- Bleeding from Pupil Expander! Now What? (July 11, 2018) – Dr. Goel performs surgery as a guest expert on the world-renowned CataractCoach.com. Dr. Uday Devgan reviews a complicated case during which Dr. Goel performs surgery using a pupil expander (Malyugin Ring). The Malyugin Ring is only used in a small percentage of cataract cases.
- Two-Handed Capsulorrhexis Technique (February 4, 2020) – A second video recently featured on CataractCoach.com. Dr. Goel performs cataract surgery on patient with a complete white cataract and a history of retinal detachment surgery.
Glaucoma and Cataracts (Trabecular Bypass Stents)
- Trabecular Bypass Stent for Glaucoma – A 4 minute video, produced by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, with an overview of trabecular bypass stents for glaucoma. Patients with cataracts and glaucoma have the opportunity to have a glaucoma procedure at the time of cataract surgery to lower the eye pressure.
- iStent inject patient video – Dr. Goel performs MIGS (Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery) procedures using the iStent inject.