Ravi Goel’s family has lived in Southern New Jersey for more than 45 years. He graduated from Cherry Hill High School East and earned a B.A. in Ethics, Politics and Economics from Yale University. He earned his medical degree (M.D.) from the Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. He completed a medical internship at the Cooper Health System and an ophthalmology residency at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. Dr. Goel completed an Advanced Refractive Surgery (LASIK) course with pioneers of refractive surgery at the world-renowned Dr. Agarwal’s Eye Hospital in Chennai, India.
Dr. Goel is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) and a member of the American Medical Association (AMA). He is an instructor at the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia and a cataract surgeon at the Wills Eye Surgical Network in Cherry Hill, NJ.
Dedicated to Protecting Sight & Moving Medicine Forward
Dr. Goel was a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Young Ophthalmologist Committee (2002-2006), Leadership Development Program (2003-2004) and Revitalization Study Group (2007). He is a former trustee of the Medical Society of New Jersey (1995-96), Colony Foundation (1994-1999), Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Alumni Association, and New Jersey Governors School Board of Overseers. He is a past president of the New Jersey Academy of Ophthalmology (2009).
In February 2004, Dr. Goel presented “Complications of Laser Surgery” at an American Academy of Ophthalmology and VETs Act Coalition symposium at the US Capitol in Washington, DC. In June 2007, he was a co-moderator on a leadership and professionalism symposium held during the Joint Congress of the European Society of Ophthalmology and the American Academy of Ophthalmology in Vienna, Austria.
Dr. Goel is a recipient of the AMA Foundation Excellence in Medicine Leadership Award (2007), the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (2007), Secretariat Award (2007, 2017), and Senior Achievement Award (2015).
Dr. Goel is a past chair of the AMA – Young Physicians Section (2010 – 2011).
Dr. Goel is a former member of the Eyenet Magazine Editorial Advisory Board, American Academy of Ophthalmology Marketing Task Force (2012), and the American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives (AAOE) Practice Management for Physicians Task Force (2012). He is a former representative to the International Council of Ophthalmology Advocacy Group. He is also a former member of the American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives board of directors (2014-2017).
Currently, Dr. Goel serves Senior Security for Ophthalmic Practice on the American Academy of Ophthalmology Board of Trustees. He is also an AAO delegate to the AMA, Vice Chair of the AMA Ophthalmology Section Council, and member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Communications Secretariat. He is a member of the Yale University Development Council, a trustee of the Indian Cultural Center of South Jersey, and member of the Community Advisory Board of the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center – Jefferson Health.
Dr. Goel is the Program Director for the Ophthalmology Business Summit 2020.
Comprehensive Ophthalmologist & Cataract Surgeon
Dr. Goel is a comprehensive ophthalmologist, cataract & refractive surgeon. He performs advanced cataract surgery using the latest technologies, including deluxe intraocular lenses (multifocal, extended depth of focus, and toric / astigmatism correction). New generation cataract surgery technologies optimize patient vision and quality of life.
Dr. Goel performs ophthalmology-specific exams on clinical study patients in partnership with researchers at the MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper. He also performs independent medical examinations (IME) for ophthalmology specific worker’s compensation and permanency evaluations. He speaks on protecting online reputation for physicians and ophthalmologists.
Dr. Goel is the recipient of Top Doc Awards from South Jersey Magazine (2011, 2012), SJ Magazine (2011, 2014), and NJTopDocs (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020).
Dr. Goel sees patients at Regional Eye Associates in Cherry Hill, NJ by appointment only. Patient consultation schedules vary and generally include Monday 8 am – 4 pm, Wednesday 1 pm – 5 pm, Thursday 8 – 4 pm, and Friday 8 am – 1 pm. Please call 856-795-8787 for an appointment or contact the office via the Regional Eye Associates practice page.
In the News
- “Leading, Advocating, Challenging: Sitting Down With Ravi Goel, Ophthalmic Surgeon, Wills Eye Hospital, USA” (theOphthalmologist.com, October 2019)
- “Why People With Diabetes Should Get Their Eyes Checked” (HealthCentral, December 2019)
- “2019 Senior Secretary for Ophthalmic Practice Nominee: Ravi D. Goel, MD” (AAO 2019)
- “How Headspace helps physicians, medical students tame stress” (AMA, Sept 2019)
- “Protecting Your Online Reputation: Five pearls to build your brand and optimize your social media presence.” (Retina Today, 2019)
- “What to Know about Cataracts and Cataract Surgery” (AARP, January 2019)
- “Ongoing outbreak of rare eye infection found among contact lens wearers” (CNN, September 2018)
- “FDA approves first contact lens that gets darker in sunlight” (CBS News, April 2018)
- Fox 29 Philadelphia TV interview on solar eclipse (August 2017)| Blog posts
- “Extra Vitamin C May Reduce Risk of Getting Cataracts” (Healthline, 2016)
- “Could You Be At Risk for One of These 5 Serious Eye Diseases?” (Women’s Health, 2016)
- “I am an Advocate: Who Represents the Patients?” Dr. Goel featured as a patient advocate by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. (AAO, 2014)
- “Daughter turning eye inward worries mom” (CNN, August 2010)
- “Why do I need bifocals?” (CNN, January 2010)