Welcome to my daily learning journal. Here is today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Simon Sinek: How to discover your “why” in difficult times. “What has the coronavirus pandemic taught us about ourselves and our relationships? In a deeply personal and wide-ranging conversation, leadership expert Simon Sinek shares his own experience caring for his mental health as the world shut down. He discusses why we need to nurture friendships (in both good times and bad), explains why anyone can be a leader — and reveals the secret to discovering your “why” in life. ” (ted.com)
Simon Sinek’s original Ted Talk is a top 3 all-time (55+ million views). After watching this newest talk, I called old friends to check-in & continue to nurture friendships.
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – 1167: resident graduation lecture. 40 minutes of the best of CataractCoach!
3. Andrew Lee MD – Ethambutol Optic Neuropathy.
Dr. Lee’s neuro-ophthalmology reviews are perfect for lifelong learning.
4. Gautam Baid – The Joys of Compounding: The Passionate Pursuit of Lifelong Learning, Revised and Updated (Heilbrunn Center for Graham & Dodd Investing Series). Chapter 10, “Living Life According to the Inner Scorecard.”
I continue to enjoy books on value investing, lifelong learning, mental models, and more. Excellent chapters with amazing quotations.
5. An OPEN INVITATION to CVS Health CEO, Aetna CEO & leadership teams – I have issued an open invitation to Aetna & CVSHealth CEO Karen S. Lynch to visit my office. I’ll schedule only Aetna patients who have cataracts on the day of visit.
Together, we can discuss the impact which cataracts have on a patient’s vision and quality of life. And also the impact which Aetna’s new preauthorization policy has on our most vulnerable patients. Deliberate delays in appropriate care hurt patients & society.