Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, podcast, or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Matt Goldman: The search for “aha!” moments. “In 1988, Matt Goldman co-founded Blue Man Group, an off-Broadway production that became a sensation known for its humor, blue body paint and wild stunts. The show works on the premise that certain conditions can create “aha moments” — moments of surprise, learning and exuberance — frequent and intentional rather than random and occasional. Now Goldman is working to apply the lessons learned from Blue Man Group to education, creating Blue School, a school that balances academic mastery, creative thinking and self and social intelligence. “We need to cultivate safe and conducive conditions for new and innovative ideas to evolve and thrive,” Goldman says.” (ted.com)
You remember a teacher’s hurtful words for a lifetime. With thanks to Matt Goldman for this Ted Talk, and for the inspiration to move forward from his childhood experiences.
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – clean your optics & focus the microscope. Dr. Devgan writes, “This is actually a very important lesson. Your microscope optics will determine your view for the surgery and that could mean the difference between a beautiful surgery and a dreaded complication. This video shows my technique of cleaning the optics and setting up for cataract surgery. Also, I explain how to get a sharp and clear video image when you are recording your surgeries.” Great pearls.
3. Prolene Versus Gore-Tex: Revisiting the Suture Debate for Scleral-Fixated IOLs. Written By: Mike Mott, Contributing Writer, interviewing Gregg T. Kokame, MD, MMM, William E. Smiddy, MD, and Jayanth S. Sridhar, MD. “Here’s what’s new in the debate about the pros and cons of Prolene and Gore-Tex sutures.”
Nice overview with excellent references. Though any mention of Gore-Tex reminds me of a Seinfeld episode (YouTube)!
4. Dr. Lee gives an excellent 3-minute overview of the mRNA vaccine for COVID-19. (YouTube)
5. Diana Scarisbrick and Benjamin Zucker. Elihu Yale: Merchant, Collector & Patron. Chapter 4. Details which Elihu Yale’s haberdasher would enjoy.
6. Episode 84: Jennifer Garvey Berger: Creating Routine in Chaos — “In a more conversational episode than our last discussion (ep. 43), Jennifer Garvey Berger opens up about coping in these uncertain times, and how we’re feeling about the current changing world that has become the new normal.” Good episode.