Welcome to day #12 of my daily learning journal. My goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery video each day. In addition, I plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or other piece of significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Simon Sinek – How great leaders inspire action. “Simon Sinek has a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership — starting with a golden circle and the question: “Why?” His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King Jr. and the Wright brothers …” (ted.com)
Simon Sinek’s Ted Talk is the 3rd most viewed ever. The talk includes many great pearls and life lessons.
2. Cataract Surgery – Pearls for small pupil cataract surgery. Uday Devgan MD. I am not as brave as Uday to go under the iris during capsulorhexis! (Paging Dr. Malyugin!) Uday shows how the most important step in cataract surgery is handled with wonderful skill.
3A. Journal articles – Differentiating Iris Pigmented Lesions: A Primer. Written By: Gabrielle Weiner, MS, Contributing Writer, interviewing Timothy S. Fuller, MD, Carol L. Shields, MD, and Alison H. Skalet, MD, PhD. EyeNet February 2020, p.33-35.
An Iris Lesion May Be Melanoma If …
- there is evidence of growth
- the tumor has intrinsic vessels
- there is seeding on the iris or in the angle
- the tumor is more than 3 clock hours
- the tumor is invading the ciliary body
- there is elevated intraocular pressure or seeding in the angle
(Source: EyeNet article, February 2020, p.33-35)
3B. Iris Nevus Growth into Melanoma: Analysis of 1611 Consecutive Eyes: The ABCDEF Guide. Carol L. Shields, Swathi Kaliki, Anne Hutchinson, Stephanie Nickerson, Jinali Patel, Swarupa Kancherla, Ani Peshtani, Shazia Nakhoda, Kristen Kocher, Emily Kolbus, Emily Jacobs, Robert Garoon, Brianna Walker, Brittany Rogers, Jerry A. Shields. Ophthalmology. 2013;120(4):766-772.
4A. Book Chapter – Simon Sinek, Start With Why. (2009). Preface, Intro, Chapter 1. The best time to read a book is after you’ve watched the Ted Talk! Seriously, great speakers lay the foundation in a 15-20 minute Ted Talk which makes their books much more enjoyable.
4B. Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice. Chapter 7 via LoyalBooks.com podcast. Excellent narration. I normally don’t venture into fiction and decided to start with the most popular on LoyalBooks.com.
I hope you enjoy these selections.
Please post a comment & subscribe/follow my blog www.ProtectingSight.com!
Protecting Sight Daily Learning posts are here.