Welcome to day #15 of my daily learning journal. My goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery each day. In addition, I plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or other piece of significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
- Ted Talk – Julian Treasure – How to speak so that people want to listen. “Have you ever felt like you’re talking, but nobody is listening? Here’s Julian Treasure to help. In this useful talk, the sound expert demonstrates the how-to’s of powerful speaking — from some handy vocal exercises to tips on how to speak with empathy. A talk that might help the world sound more beautiful.” (ted.com)
This is the 6th most viewed Ted Talk (42.4 million), with superb pearls in a 10-minute talk. Well worth watching twice.
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – Fluidic Analysis during Phaco Chop. I watched this twice! Superb fluidic analysis of a dense, complicated cataract.
3. Journal article – EyeNet February 2020 – Diagnosis and Management of Optic Disc Pits. Written By: Christopher Schiefer, Mona A. Kaleem, MD, and Rachid Aouchiche, MD. Edited By: Ingrid U. Scott, MD, MPH, and Bennie H. Jeng, MD
4. Book Chapter – Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice. Chapter 22-40 via LoyalBooks.com podcast. Excellent narration & can be quite addictive.
5. (BONUS) Read my latest blog post on blue light blocking glasses: “Blue light blocking glasses should go the way of Kmart’s “Blue Light Special” … into extinction. Blue light filtering glasses have unproven benefits to patients and the public.”
I hope you enjoy these selections.
Please post a comment & subscribe/follow my blog www.ProtectingSight.com!
Protecting Sight Daily Learning posts are here.