Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Jimmy Wales – The birth of Wikipedia. “Jimmy Wales recalls how he assembled “a ragtag band of volunteers,” gave them tools for collaborating and created Wikipedia, the self-organizing, self-correcting, never-finished online encyclopedia.” (ted.com).
I love Wikipedia. Nice history from Wikipedia’s co-founder & “benevolent dictator.”
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD Challenge: Monocular Dense Cataract. Dr. Devgan writes, “Operating on a monocular patient is always stressful since we know thatThis compilation video features the best of many prior videos regarding dense cataract techniques. The video has many clips which are shown at high speed in order to cover more material in the 10 minute timeframe. This is the same presentation that I would give at a large ophthalmology congress and now you can watch it now on your mobile device, at your leisure. Streaming on demand has taken over for television and movies, and it is now revolutionizing medical education.”
Like reading a great poem while listening to a symphony.
3. Journal – Evaluation of SARS-CoV-2 in Tears of Patients with Moderate to Severe COVID-19. Ritu Arora, MD et. al. Ophthalmology. Published:August 31, 2020 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2020.08.029PlumX Metrics
4. Book Chapter – Why Moats Matter: The Morningstar Approach to Stock Investing. Chapter 1. With thanks to author and hedge fund Guy Spier for sending this amazing book. Guy’s appearance on The Investors Podcast inspired me to attend the Berkshire Hathaway meeting in 2018 and 2019. Cancelled my 2020 hotel/flights due to COVID.
Guy Spier’s book on The Education of A Value Investor is filled with life lessons.
5. We Study Billionaires, hosted by Preston Pysh and Stig Brodersen, is the flagship podcast of The Investor’s Podcast Network, with more than 30 Million downloads.
- TIP314: THOUGHTS FROM RAY DALIO, ERIC SCHMIDT, PETER THIEL, & SAM ZELL ON THE CURRENT ECONOMY.
- TIP313: ED HARRISON FROM REAL VISION TALKS ABOUT CURRENT MARKET CONDITIONS
6. I posted a tweet about the #IIRSI program image above. My tweet is here which includes numerous responses. I have great respect for the all-star faculty. But I make no apology for the tweet itself. I think the profession needs to do better. We need to identify unconscious and unintentional biases which affect professional growth for diverse genders and communities.
5. Rest in Peace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.