Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Dan Pallotta: The dream we haven’t dared to dream. “What are your dreams? Better yet, what are your broken dreams? Dan Pallotta dreams of a time when we are as excited, curious and scientific about the development of our humanity as we are about the development of our technology. ‘What we fear most is that we will be denied the opportunity to fulfill our true potential,’ Pallotta says. ‘Imagine living in a world where we simply recognize that deep, existential fear in one another — and love one another boldly because we know that to be human is to live with that fear.'” (ted.com)
Inspirational. I often watch Ted Talks on my iPad so I can take screenshots of favorite images. I love how he weaves JFK’s dream shot of putting a “Man on the Moon” with dreams of today.
Imagine living in a world where we simply recognize that deep, existential fear in one another and love one another boldly because we know that to be human is to live with that fear. It’s time for us to dream in multiple dimensions simultaneously, and somewhere that transcends all of the wondrous things we can and will and must do lies the domain of all the unbelievable things we could be.Dan Pallotta (Ted Talk)
2. Uday Devgan MD – recovering from Argentinian Flag Sign. Dr. Devgan writes in part, “We have explained in great detail the techniques that can help to prevent the dreaded Argentinian flag sign with intumescent white cataracts, but even then there is a risk of errant capsular extension. In this video, our anonymous surgeon shows us how to recover from this capsular runout and still safely and successfully complete the cataract surgery.”
The anonymous surgeon has good hands. Great recovery with many pearls.
3. Journal – Douglas KAA, Douglas VP, Cestari DM. Relapsing Optic Neuropathy and Multiple Cranial Neuropathies in a Middle-aged Woman. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020;138(1):95–96. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2019.4410
5. “Mukesh Ambani: the relentless rise of Asia’s richest man” (Financial Times) – Fascinating article.
6. TIP312: INVESTING IN BUSINESSES W/ GREAT FUNDAMENTALS W/ JOHN HUBER. “On today’s show we have Mr. John Huber, who’s the managing Partner at Saber Capital Management. During the discussion we talk about how to make growth assumptions for companies, how to identify high quality businesses with a competitive advantage, and the impacts COVID-19 is having on businesses.”
John Huber shares phenomenal insights on identifying high quality businesses. Worth listening to twice.