Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Matt Walker: How sleep affects your emotions. “It’s not just your imagination — you’re more irritable when you’re low on zzzzs. Sleep scientist Matt Walker explains how our nightly slumber affects the emotional centers in our brains, and why we can think of sleep as first aid for our feelings.” (ted.com)
Wish I had learned better sleep habits in high school, college and med school!
2. Uday Devgan MD – complete case: phaco chop in myope. Dr. Devgan writes in part, “Complete Cataract Cases are videos where we show the entire surgery, from the first incision (usually the paracentesis in my technique) to the very end of the case. There is an advantage to watching the entire surgery because there are subtleties that are easier to see and we can also learn the flow of the procedure. “
3. Journal – Hadjokas NP, Reidy JJ, Farooq AV. Chronic Follicular Conjunctivitis in a Middle-aged Woman. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018;136(7):833–834. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.6189
4. Book Chapter – Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson. Chapter 19, “Personal Turmoil.”
5. Episode 88: Derek Sivers: Innovation Versus Imitation — Shane Parrish (host). “Musician, speaker, writer and entrepreneur, Derek Sivers chats about creating and running CD Baby, reading, mental models, living a meaningful life and that biggest mistake he’s ever made.”
This has many “ohh wow” moments. The “biggest mistake” he shares was authentic, inspiring, and poignant.