Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, podcast, or significant work.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Bunker Roy: Learning from a barefoot movement. “In Rajasthan, India, an extraordinary school teaches rural women and men — many of them illiterate — to become solar engineers, artisans, dentists and doctors in their own villages. It’s called the Barefoot College, and its founder, Bunker Roy, explains how it works.” (ted.com)
This is a transformational Ted Talk.
I’ll just wind up by saying that I think you don’t have to look for solutions outside. Look for solutions within. And listen to people. They have the solutions in front of you. They’re all over the world. Don’t even worry. Don’t listen to the World Bank, listen to the people on the ground. They have all the solutions in the world.Bunker Roy (Founder, Barefoot College)
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – This subtle sign indicates weak zonules! Dr. Devgan writes in part, “This is a very subtle sign — looking at this title pic, we see a demarcation line just inside the iris edge.” Great case and filled with pearls.
3B. EyeNet (December 2020) – Journal Highlights. Antibiotics After Periocular Surgery, Reconsidering Cornea Donation Guidelines, and more. EyeNet & journal editors summarize the most exciting studies from Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Glaucoma, Ophthalmology Retina, JAMA Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalmology, and other journals.
4. Mackool, Richard J. Phaco Tips: The First Ten Years (2002). Reviewed phaco tips #61-80.
Phaco Tips is filled with timeless surgical pearls. Please send me your recommended books!
5. The Good Life by The Investor’s Podcast Network (Host Sean Murray). TGL038: HOW TO MAKE BETTER DECISIONS WITH ANNIE DUKE.
I met Sean Murray while standing in line at the Berkshire Hathaway meeting 2018. I got up around 3 am, entered the line around 5 am, and met many incredible individuals during the long wait before the doors opened (around 8 am?). Sean was among the many fans of the Investors Podcast I met. In the chaos of entering the arena, we separated. I ran up the stairs and arena was almost instantly full. Sean saw me and had saved me a seat! Spent the next few hours watching Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger hold court.
This is a great episode between Sean and guest Annie Duke. I had featured their previous discussion in Protecting Sight #78 (which also includes one of my favorite all-time Ted Talks with composer Benjamin Zander). Love Annie Duke’s book Thinking in Bets (see my March 2019 tweet here), and her podcast appearances include numerous pearls for helping to make better decisions.
6. Instagram retina doc @jordical_retina fills his posts with educational content. And we share a Christmas wish! #ProtectingSight