Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, podcast, or significant work.
Here is today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Andrew Solomon: How the worst moments in our lives make us who we are. “Writer Andrew Solomon has spent his career telling stories of the hardships of others. Now he turns inward, bringing us into a childhood of adversity, while also spinning tales of the courageous people he’s met in the years since. In a moving, heartfelt and at times downright funny talk, Solomon gives a powerful call to action to forge meaning from our biggest struggles.” (ted.com)
Ted Talks range from 5-20 minutes. This is well worth the 20 minute investment. Solomon shares incredible life stories. With more than one jump back moment.
2. Cataract Surgery – Uday Devgan MD – 1000 posts/videos on CataractCoach. Congratulations to my friend Uday Devgan, MD on his 1000th straight post on CataractCoach! Uday has made me a better surgeon and I look forward to his daily posts. Infact, I’m signed up for his email list, which hits my inbox around 6 am. I often watch his posts over breakfast or in-between patients. Every cataract video is filled with surgical pearls. I only wish that this resource was available when I was a resident-in-training. Thank you, Uday, for creating the premier teaching site in ophthalmology!
3. Journal article – Liu T, Elnahry AG, Kim BJ. A 47-Year-Old Woman Urgently Referred for Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy Management. JAMA Ophthalmol. Published online January 28, 2021. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2020.4670
4. Iliad by Homer – Book 11. Listening to the LoyalBooks free podcast version. (Wikipedia | Spark Notes)
5. TIP334: DISRUPTIVE INNOVATION W/ CATHIE WOOD – “On today’s show, we have Cathie Wood from Ark Invest. Ark’s ETFs are fascinating and have been outperforming the market by a wide margin over the last year. For example, Ark’s Innovation ETF returned over 170% in the last year and it is now actively managing over $50 billion dollars.” Good episode.