Welcome to my daily learning journal. My daily goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery. I also plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, podcast, or significant work.
Here is today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Jochen Wegner: What happened when we paired up thousands of strangers to talk politics. “In spring 2019, more than 17,000 Europeans from 33 countries signed up to have a political argument with a complete stranger. They were part of “Europe Talks,” a project that organizes one-on-one conversations between people who disagree — sort of like a Tinder for politics. Editor Jochen Wegner shares the unexpected things that happened when people met up to talk — and shows how face-to-face discussions could get a divided world to rethink itself.” (ted.com)
Wonderful concept & Ted Talk. I would love the opportunity to sit down with someone (post-pandemic) and discuss opposing views in a collegial interaction.
2. Cataract Surgery – Dr. Sergio Canabrava – Posterior Capsule Rupture during IOL implant. “It was necessary to remove it from the bag and implant a 3 piece IOL behind.”
A hidden gem of the pandemic has been the proliferation of webinars and learning opportunities. Dr. Canabrava is a world-class cataract surgeon whose teaching videos are filled with insights.
3. Andrew Lee MD – Acute Bilateral Ophthalmoplegia.
Dr. Lee’s 450+ neuro-ophthalmology reviews are around 5 minutes each. Perfect for the busy clinician & trainee. I plan to watch one a day, from oldest to newest.
4. Episode 81: Taking Intelligent Risk with Jason Calacanis — “Angel investor Jason Calacanis talks high stakes poker, how to make intelligent investing decisions, how systems enable or forbid, and demystifies the culture of Silicon Valley.”
A podcast episode jam session. Filled with insights on making better decisions.
5. Eye Tea: Data, telemedicine, and AI (Clubhouse) – Congrats to Drs. Katherine Leviste and Gagan Kalra on creating a phenomenal discussion group on ophthalmology & cutting edge technologies.
The best Clubhouse session I’ve attended. I just hope the session was recorded! An instant classic with world leaders in ophthalmology telemedicine & AI.
I plan to take the course on telemedicine mentioned during the session.