I spoke at the Real World of Ophthalmology meeting on “Avoiding Embezzlement.” The PowerPoint presentation will have a QR Code link to this page. I include links to valuable resources below.
Stay tuned as I’ll continue to add resources to this page!
These are top resources I’ve found on avoiding embezzlement. Many common themes and filled with actionable pearls:
- Sara Burns Rapuano, MBA, OCS, “Protecting Your Practice from Embezzlement.”. (AAO/AAOE Practice Management). April 9, 2018.
- 11 Signs There’s an Embezzler in Your Eye Care Practice (EyeCareLeaders blog)
- Aaron N. Waite, MD, PCEO, and Jenifer Martin, BS, “Seven ideas to detect, deter embezzlement.” (Ophthalmology Management). January 1, 2018.
- Frost C. Embezzlement in the Medical Practice – Are you at Risk? The Employee Profile, Methodology and Processes (PDF). Accessed April 2, 2022.
- Protect your practice: Prevent, detect, deter embezzlement. Article which covered my presentation. Ocular Surgery News. April 12, 2022.
A great question was asked on leadership and growing a practice. I would recommend many books including:
- Jim Collins, Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don’t
- Kenneth R. Jennings and John Stahl-West, The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions to Transform Your Team, Business, and Community
- Morten T. Hansen, Collaboration: How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Build Common Ground, and Reap Big Results
- Daniel Goleman, Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
- Walter Isaacson, Benjamin Franklin: An American Life
- John Doerr, Measure What Matters: How Google, Bono, and the Gates Foundation Rock the World with OKRs
- Ray Dalio, Principles: Life and Work
- James Clear, Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
- Spencer Johnson, M.D., Who Moved My Cheese?: An A-Mazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life