Welcome to day #8 of my daily learning journal. With constant news and social media distractions, my goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery video each day. In addition, I plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or other piece of significant work.
This page will be posted after I’ve completed the tasks.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Amy Cuddy: Your body language may shape who you are. “Body language affects how others see us, but it may also change how we see ourselves. Social psychologist Amy Cuddy argues that ‘power posing’ — standing in a posture of confidence, even when we don’t feel confident — can boost feelings of confidence, and might have an impact on our chances for success.”
Amy Cuddy’s Ted Talk is the second highest viewed Ted Talk ever (57.7 million views). Her story is compelling — have a box of tissues handy — and her eloquence superb. You can implement her teachings today.
2. Cataract Surgery – I was honored to serve as a panelist during today’s 1st International Video Symposium on Spectrum of Ocular Trauma. The 3-hour session included jaw-dropping cases handled by world experts dedicated to protecting sight. There are numerous adult & pediatric cataract cases. The video session is available on Facebook or Youtube.
I spoke on the #NoRubberBullets campaign. During the discussions, I also asked Dr. Hudson Nakamara about one of his cases on Terson Syndrome. Dr. Hudson graciously posted an article from the Saudi literature of Terson Syndrome case reports (See #3 below). With thanks to Dr. Natarajan for the invitation to join these gifted surgeons and world leaders in ophthalmic and ocular trauma.
3. Journal article – Mehmet Citirik, Kemal Tekin, Mehmet Yasin Teke. Terson syndrome with persistent vitreous hemorrhage following traumatic brain injury (Case Reports). Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology. Volume 33, Issue 4, October–December 2019, Pages 392-397.
4. Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Books 8-12.
Meditations translations are available free online:
- Meditations on mit.edu (George Long translation)
- Meditations on Apple Podcast (Loyal Books). (George Long translation)
- (Bonus) Podcast: Inspirational Quotes
- (Bonus) YouTube: Marcus Aurelius: Meditations (Animated) (below)
I am finished with Meditations! (The podcast and YouTube videos on highlights are superb.)
I hope you enjoy these selections.
Happy Father’s Day to all who celebrate!
Please post a comment & subscribe/follow my blog www.ProtectingSight.com!
(Addendum: I have created a page with all Protecting Sight Daily Learning posts here).