Welcome to day #10 of my daily learning journal. My goal is to watch one Ted Talk and one cataract surgery video each day. In addition, I plan to read one journal article and read/listen to a book chapter, short story or other piece of significant work.
This page will be posted after I’ve completed the tasks.
Here’s today’s list:
1. Ted Talk – Simone Giertz: Why you should make useless things – “In this joyful, heartfelt talk featuring demos of her wonderfully wacky creations, Simone Giertz shares her craft: making useless robots. Her inventions — designed to chop vegetables, cut hair, apply lipstick and more — rarely (if ever) succeed, and that’s the point. “The true beauty of making useless things [is] this acknowledgment that you don’t always know what the best answer is,” Giertz says. ‘It turns off that voice in your head that tells you that you know exactly how the world works. Maybe a toothbrush helmet isn’t the answer, but at least you’re asking the question.’ “
My favorite part of my new daily learning goal are the Ted Talks. I usually just open the app and look for an interesting title, “Ted recommends,” or search by view count. Each Ted Talk is filled with life lessons and actionable pearls. Ms. Giertz does not disappoint, and her YouTube channel has 2.2 million subscribers.
2. Cataract Surgery Complete Case: Cortical Cataract – Uday Devgan MD. Uday continues to post and analyze excellent cases. I often use Uday’s pearls in surgery. The relentless pursuit of perfection.
3. Journal articles – I now pick up the closest journal in the home or office and read an interesting article. Today there are three from Ophthalmology (March 2020). A commentary, case report, and Swedish article on cataract surgery complications. All very good.
1. Designing Safer Care for Patients and Colleagues – David C. Herman, MD DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2019.10.003
2. An Unusual Case of Unilateral Multiple Periorbital Dermoid Cyst – ultra-rare case and first time reported. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2019.12.010
3. Cataract Surgery Volumes and Complications per Surgeon and Clinical Unit: Data from the Swedish National Cataract Register 2007 to 2016 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2019.10.007
4. Sun Tzu. The Art of War. Many podcast hosts & guests recommend The Art of War. I read The Art of War within the last year — after picking up a copy at the Cherry Hill Library used book sale — and am delighted to re-engage with the podcast edition. Filled with leadership, management, conflict resolution, and negotiation pearls. Chapter 3,4, and 5 done today. (LoyalBooks.com has many free book podcasts.)
I hope you enjoy these selections.
Please post a comment & subscribe/follow my blog www.ProtectingSight.com!
Protecting Sight Daily Learning posts are here.